Washington Frank came to Kearney as early as 1872, through the invitation
of his cousin, Col. Patterson, who was in charge of locating a site
for the junction of the two railroads on the Midwest Plains. Mr. Frank
then purchased several parcels of land.
Mr. Frank returned
to Kearney in 1884 when he was invited to finish the Kearney canal.
He bought 80 percent of the company's stocks. Afterwards he built the
powerhouse which initiated the boom era of Kearney. The potential of
growth in the area led him to build his mansion.
The Frank House
was the third mansion of George Washington and Phoebe McNair Frank.